Off on a Mountain Bike Adventure and tired of the Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich Snack? We are too and that’s why we want to push for a great alternative for Cyclist and Mtn Bikers could enjoy. In this post we are going to be discussing why you should like eating the Tuna Sandwich, how to make it and the best way to eat it!
Other than tasting great the Tuna Sandwich contains great sources of protein, omega fatty acids, and is low in fat. “Fatty fish are a good source of long chain n-3 FA, which are believed to have health benefits for the prevention and treatment of these non-communicable diseases.” (Maqbool, A., Strandvik 2011) With the addition of fresh premium vegetables and herbs such as cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, chives, celery and almonds, this sandwich can really pack a punch in its nutritional to calorie ratio. This Sandwich can really pack a punch in its nutritional to calorie ratio.
What you’ll need
- Food Processor & Fork
- Ice Cream Scooper for your Tuna Mix
- Large Bowl
- Small Bowls to hold your Veggies
- Red Onion
- Romania tomatoes
- Fresh Cucumber
- Canned Albacore Tuna
- Organic Celery
- Butter Lettuce
- Honey Oats Wheat Bread
- Whole Wheat Tortilla
- Dijon Honey Mustard
- Basil Pesto
- Sliced Almonds
- Extra Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Lemon Juice
How to make it:
- Slice your vegetables
- Celery Stalk, Red Onion, Cucumbers, Parsley, Chives, Sliced Almonds
- Add these vegetables to your Food Processor for a nice refined texture.
- Now mix and all of these ingredients in a large bowl until it’s thoroughly mixed.
- Add in a few Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, and Mayonnaise!
- Open Up and add into your bowl the wild albacore tuna.
- Mix and season it to your personal liking.
- You can either use your Honey Oat Bread, Whole Wheat Tortilla, or Butter Lettuce for this. For this case will be using the Honey Oat Bread.
- Have two slices of Honey Oat Bread prepared and add a in a Tbsp of Basil Pesto on one side of the bread. On the other slice of bread add the Dijon Mustard and spread both evenly.
- Place your spinach and lettuce wrap on the bread. With a Ice Cream scooper or spoon add your Tuna Mix.
We find the Tuna Sandwich with Honey Oat Wheat Bread absolutely taste the best. It’s a sandwich after all and can be treated like a meal. However, for a hungry athlete we’d say it’s more of a snack!
Personally, we find the best way to eat the Tuna Sandwich for Athletes on the go is the Tuna Sandwich Tortilla Wrap. It’s clean, easy to pack and you can even it while riding if you need too!
Feeling healthy? Go for the Butter Lettuce Tuna Wrap for less carb’s and calories from the bread. With fresh butter lettuce this sandwich can really help in keeping the calories low.
Maqbool, A., Strandvik, B., & Stallings, V. A. (2011, November). The skinny on tuna fat: health implications. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4675452/